We are so proud to announce that UMOM CEO Darlene Newsom has been named a Leader of Distinction by the Arizona chapter of the Organization for Nonprofit Executives!
Judges took a look at what UMOM was up to between October 2016 and December 2017. Those 15-months were an especially busy time for UMOM. In addition to all that goes into providing day-to-day shelter, services and affordable housing across UMOM’s 11 properties, we also had four major projects progressing under Darlene’s leadership:
- Seeing Tumbleweed through its bankruptcy process, then absorbing its youth programs and personnel;
- Opening the Halle Women’s Shelter – a first in Arizona;
- Launching 19North, the new affordable housing development in north Phoenix; and
- Opening our new Employment Hub, in partnership with St. Joseph the Worker, making it easier for people to find jobs even while they’re waiting for shelter.
“It’s a huge honor to receive an award like this,” said Darlene, who picked up the award at ONE’s annual event at the end of March. “It’s also incredibly fulfilling to know that something like this is only possible when you have a great professional staff, committed volunteers and supportive donors and funders who make it all possible.”
As for the projects themselves, here are some great updates:
- Tumbleweed, now operating as ‘Tumbleweed, a Service of UMOM’ for almost a year has served at-risk youth and young adults.
- Also coming up on its one-year anniversary is the Halle Center, which has seen a 30% increase of women exiting shelter to permanent housing.
- The 19North complex broke ground early this year and is expected to be ready for families to move in in late 2019.
Thank you for your support – as Darlene said, you are the reason behind our success!